Subsidised Home Modifications

If there is a need for modifications around your home – you or the person you care for may be eligible for government subsidies. Depending on the type of program and your income there may be a fee. Subsidies are often delivered through not-for-profit organisations or private service providers.

An assessment will usually be required to view the home situation, where access is needed, areas of risk and the Assessor (health professional) will provide their recommendation of any modifications required.

People aged 65 and over

People aged 65 and over or their carers can apply for home modifications via the My Aged Care website.

Children and people under the age of 65

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) may fund the design and construction of home modifications as part of a specific, tailored package known as a ‘participant plan’. The NDIS is currently being rolled out across Australia. The NDIS website is a useful resource. You can identify if it is available where you live. You can also check eligibility, for yourself or the person you care for.


The Rehabilitation Appliances Program can assist with home modifications for eligible veterans.

State Funded Home Modifications

Each State Government offers assistance with home modifications for eligible people and carers:


Other Sources of Information that may be Helpful:

ACT Health – (Community based services)

Government of Western AustraliaDisability Services Commission – (Community Aids and Equipment Program )

Victoria Human Services – (Home Renovation Service) 

Department of Health – (Commonwealth Home Support Programme) 

My Aged Care – (Home care packages) 

National Disability Insurance Scheme – (Reasonable and necessary supports) 

Department of Veteran’s Affairs – (Rehabilitation Appliances Program) 

Home Modification Information Clearinghouse – (What is home modification) 

Home Modification Information Clearinghouse – (Services directory)

State-wide equipment program – (Aids & equipment)

Northern Territory Department of Health – (Disability equipment) 

Queensland Government – (Community and home care services – Home modifications)

Tasmania Department of Health and Human Services – (Fusion (Australia) Home Modifications and Maintenance) 

My Aged Care – (Home maintenance and modifications) 

South Australian Government – (Equipment and home modifications)

Additional Resources:

Article Source: